Help:Correcting an incomplete argument title
Help section:Correcting an incomplete argument title
Has an "Incomplete Title" banner appeared for an argument you've entered? Read this page to find out why and how to correct this title.
What is an incomplete title?
On Wikidebates, each argument has a page containing the data relevant to this argument: summary, citations, references, etc.
In order to be found easily, an argument page must have a title that gives a clear and precise idea of the argument. It should also uniquely identify the argument on the wiki.
Imagine you are searching for an argument and come across the title "Lower wages than men". Does this title give a clear and precise idea of the argument? No, because:
- This title is not explicit enough to be understandable: for whom are wages lower? What is the complete sentence?
- This title is ambiguous: are we talking about lower wages in all countries? In France? In Turkey?
For each of these reasons, this argument title needs to be completed.
Recommendations for a complete title
1. Formulate the title with a sentence
|Numerous acts of police violence are committed in France
|Freedom of expression must be limited to fight against pornography
|Better living conditions
|Basic income brings better living conditions
2. Be specific
Avoid personal pronouns
|He does not advocate the superiority of a race
|Donald Trump does not advocate the superiority of a race
|We are not in a democracy
|France is not a democracy
|Ukraine is not a member
|Ukraine is not a member of the European Union
Avoid demonstrative pronouns and articles
|This study is biased
|The 2003 study by the French Public Health Surveillance Institute on household incinerators in Reunion Island is biased
|It is a failure
|What is a failure?
|The fight against cannabis trafficking in Spain is a failure
|It contributes strongly to global warming
|What contributes to global warming?
|Intensive livestock farming global warming contributes strongly to global warming
Specify proper nouns
|Voting against George Bush was a protest vote
|George Bush senior or junior?
|Voting against George W. Bush was a protest vote
|The war was barbaric
|The First World War was a barbaric
|The actions of the Resistance had no impact on the Allied victory
|The actions of the French Resistance had no impact on the Allied victory
Specify date and place, if applicable
|The U.S. military budget was only was only twice that of Russia
|In 1991, the U.S. military budget was only was only twice that of Russia
|The number of foreigners has been stable for 20 years
|The number of foreigners in France has been stable for 20 years
|Tobacco consumption is no longer decreasing
|In which country? Since when?
|Tobacco consumption has not decreased in France since 2020
How to correct an incomplete title?
Naming the page of an argument with an incomplete title is problematic. On the other hand, when reading a debate, a short and punchy title may be more appropriate than the full page name.
You can use the full title as the page name and the incomplete title as the title to be displayed in the debate.
When an argument is used in a debate, it is always possible to display it under a different title. Use this feature to display the incomplete title instead of the page name.
Correcting an incomplete argument title is done in three steps:
1. Rename the argument page by writing a complete title
- Open this argument’s page. To do this, click on the "Detailed Page" link in the argument banner (if you are on a debate page), or enter the first few letters of the argument's title in the wiki search bar (at the top right of each page) and click on the argument's full name.
- Click on the "rename" button under the page title (see attached screenshot).
- Fill in the title and click on "Rename Page".
- Still on the argument page, click on the warning flag [ ] next to the "rename" button. A list of possible warnings appears.
- Uncheck the "Incomplete title" box and click the “Save” button.
3. Add a shorter or more appropriate title to be displayed
Let’s say you are on the debate page titled “Should we stop eating animals?” and want to display the argument “Eating animals is a major contributor to global warming” under the title "It is a major contributor to global warming" when this argument is used as a justification of “Eating animals leads to intensive farming that causes many environmental problems”? Follow these steps:
- Locate the “Eating Animals argument as a major contributor to global warming” argument in the debate. It is in a list of sub-arguments entitled "Justifications".
- Click on the "edit" button next to the "Justifications" heading. The list of justifications for “Eating Animals Leads to Intensive Livestock Farming that Causes Many Environmental Problems” appears in an edit form.
- Enter the title "This is a major contributor to global warming" in the "Title to be displayed" field of the Eating animals is a major contributor to global warming argument, as in the screenshot above.
- Click the “Save” button at the bottom of the page.
The title that appears in the debate is now "This is a major contributor to global warming" (not "Eating animals is a major contributor to global warming").
The title of the argument page now has a clear and precise name, and the title displayed in the debate is more readable.Congratulations, you have corrected an incomplete argument title!
What is the difference between the argument page name and the title to be displayed?
The argument page name should be as clear and precise as possible. It can be very long and not very readable.
On the other hand, the displayed title should be as conducive as possible to the reading of the debate. It can be short, yet understandable in the context of the debate page.